Monday, March 14, 2011

The Critters

When I was little I always wanted pets.  I really didn't care what kind, I wanted them all.  So I finally got my wish and now I think I was completely insane.  They are a lot of work and can be extremely frustrating at times, but I wouldn't trade any of them for anything in the world. 

First came Tuesday, a red bellied conure, who I purchased while in undergrad.  I was still in college apartments at the time and a bird or a hamster was the only thing I could get away with.  You would not believe the personality this little one has and she just loves the camera.  She knows a few tricks like "turn around" and "boogie" and she also "meows."   


Then Frisbee appeared.  Litterally.  Michael took me up to the frisbee golf course just to check it out and before I even saw the frisbee basket I hear a small meow.  No way I could leave her there.  She has had a few peeing issues, but other than that I couldn't ask for a better cat.
Then Crockett found me.....again.  Crockett was my dad's parrot, Yellow Crowned Amazon Parrot, to be exact.  After my dad passed away poor Crock moved around a bit.  We always thought Crock was a boy, but low and behold after about 15 years she laid an egg, so now she is Crockette.  My dad always joked that I would get her in his will one day, I guess I should have taken him more serious.  Her breed has a life span of 80-100 years and this one is about 20.  Whew.

And last but not least Gracie.  Gracie was a lunch break purchase.  It wasn't long after I bought my house that I found myself in a pet store during my lunch break, and I was actually looking at a "schnoodle" for Michael's Mom.  And then there was this little stinker in the cage with the schnoodle.  The girl asked me if I wanted to hold one and some how I ended up with the chihuahua instead of the schnoodle.  What can I say, I'm a sucker.  I did at least go home and sleep on it before going back the next day at lunch to buy her.  I am totally against pet store puppies, so I am not so sure how this happened.  The next critter will come from the pound I promise!


No comments:

Post a Comment