Monday, September 17, 2012

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Owl Hats! Hoot Hoot!

Thanks to Pinterest I found this super cute pattern on a blog called Daisy Cottage Designs, for a crocheted new born Owl Hat.  My friend Mandy spotted my pin and asked if I could possibly make one for her boys.  It kind of excited me because I thought it would be a fun challenge, but I couldn't believe how easy this pattern was. 

The only issue that I had was adjusting the size to fit her boys.  The first one came out a big large so that one ended up being Keller's.  It was a little pointy on top, so I tied a knot around it from the inside.  Mandy said Keller didn't even notice.  Then doing the smaller one was smooth sailing : )  Super cute kids don't hurt either!

This pattern gives you the option of the having or not having the ear flaps, but I thought it made the hat.  The pattern also has braided ties coming from the flaps, but Mandy said Maddox would probably just try to eat them, so it would be better without.  I used Lion Brand Cotton Ease Yarn because it's my favorite to work with, but you could do it with any kind.

There are a ton of different options for these.  I might try making a girl one next.  I also think it would be super easy to make different animals by just slightly adjusting the pattern. 

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pallet Shelve I Stole from Pinterest and a Handy Boyfriend

So recently I have discovered and developed a strong love for the site, maybe even an obsession.  For those of you who haven't visited the site yet, it's like facebook, but only in the sense that it is a collection of blog links from your friends by pictures.  I can't tell you how many ideas I have found on the site for everything from recipes to DIY projects.  And it's free! 

Anyhow, I found this pin from this site and thought this would be a perfect project for Michael and I, mostly Michael since he has all the "man tools."  You use old wooden pallets to make shelves, tables, bed frames, etc.  Since my dining room basically bare, I wanted to make a decorative shelving unit and a wine rack to give the space a little more character.  And the price was right since I already had most of the supplies which included pallets, sandpaper and stain.

First we pulled a few old pallets my former roommate had left from the garage.  They weren't in the greatest of shape so Michael had to piece them together a little bit in order to get them to be the right design for the shelves.  It took a little configuring, but not too long.  The hardest part was that some of the planks split when he removed them.

Next we sanded the heck out of them.  I wanted them still to look distressed, so we didn't overdo it, but this still was the most time consuming part.  Not to mention it was freezing outside.  We used an electric sander (mouse) and did a couple of rounds with the coarse and then down graded to the medium, just enough to get the splinters out.

Then we stained them a dark walnut to go with other projects we had done.  Eventually I would like for everything in my house to match, but I have a feeling it is going to be awhile before that day arrives. 

Now came the hard part, hanging.  Living in an old house makes hanging just about anything a challenge, but this sucker was heavy.  After a couple of talks with his dad, Michael picked up some brackets with some super powered supports.  We measured, leveled and then went at it, not too complicated, but not easy either.  Thank goodness for a drill!  

Finally we decorated.  I had so many random odds and ends that I didn't have a place for.  Now they have a home.  We also put some random bottles just to give it a little more character.  I am super pleased with the final project, but it is still a work in progress.  

We also made a wine rack but that is going on a wall that has brick directly behind the drywall, which of course means more fancy tools.  The only downfall to the wine rack is that the bottles stand straight up, but they don't last too long in my house so we should be okay ; )

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Turkey Time!

I found this super cute (and free!) turkey crochet pattern on Lion Brand Yarn's website.  You need to create an account to be able to look at their free patterns, but it absolutely free and all they send you is an optional weekly email about new yarns and patterns.  There is also an occasional coupon. 

This pattern was pretty straightforward and took me a little over an hour.  I used cotton ease yarn, which is one of my favorites.  The only slightly difficult part were the gobbler, beak and feet, which was only because they are so small.

Happy 1st Birthday Bailey!

My dear friend Kristin's sweet little baby girl is already one year old!  To celebrate, Mom and Dad had a "cupcake" party, but since they live in GA and I'm all the way in WV,  I missed out on the party.  No cupcakes for me (probably a good thing), but I thought I might go ahead and try to crochet a cupcake to go along with her present.  I also made a matching headband with my first ever attempt at a flower   So Bailey and I are full of "firsts" this month! 
Gracie helped me out with this project but being a headband model.  Hopefully Bailey likes it more than she did.  (The colors aren't really neon, that is just how my iPhone perceived them).  Happy Birthday Bailey!  Eat a cupcake for me!

Monday, November 14, 2011

5x7 Folded Card

Stylish Snowflakes Black Christmas Card
Find unique and modern Christmas cards at Shutterfly.
View the entire collection of cards.